Destination Weddings Pros and Cons
Destination weddings sound exotic, don’t they? Who wouldn’t want to be swept away by the romance of a tropical destination? Before you book those flights, let’s take a frank look at the pros and cons of destination weddings.
The Pros of Destination Weddings
- You’ll probably save money. By avoiding the large reception, you can spend more on the personal enjoyment of your own honeymoon.
- You can truly “get away from it all”. If you haven’t had a vacation in a while, this may be your chance to kill two birds with one stone.
- You will form some really lasting memories. Enjoying a new experience together can be extremely bonding for couples, and you may feel emboldened to try things you’ve never done before. (Scuba, anyone?)
- It’s easy. Destination wedding venues often have hosts who will plan the entire thing for you – from the ceremony to the meal to the room, it’s usually a package price. Just bring your special outfit!
The Cons of Destination Weddings
- Not everyone will be able to come along to destination weddings. Grandma may have to sit this one out. How will that make you feel later? How will it affect your relationship with the rest of the family if you have excluded those whom they consider important?
- People may not send gifts for destination weddings. If you’re counting on wedding gifts to help you furnish your first home together, be aware that you’ll probably not receive gifts from anyone but extremely close family members. (Although you may get some lovely, heartfelt cards.)
- You will likely pay for the entire thing yourself. If older parents and other close family can’t attend, they often choose not to pay. This can be difficult if you were hoping that family would help out. (On the other hand – you may be able to convince them that this is cheaper than paying for a huge reception!)
- You may not have the customization you wanted. Need a certain officiant to perform the ceremony in your faith? Dreaming of a certain type of family-recipe cake? Looking forward to dancing that special goofy dance with your 6 bridesmaids? All of those things may not be possible with a destination wedding.
Bottom line: What do you really want for yourself? While a wedding surrounded by your best friends and family is perfect for many, a private, low-key tropical beach with just you and the sand may be more to your liking. It’s best to be honest with yourself first, and choose based on what you really want to remember in 50 years!
Join us April 8, 2018 for the Fraser Valley Wedding Festival, where Brides and Grooms are FREE! Register by clicking here.